COOKBOOK REVIEW: In My Mother's Kitchen by Trish Magwood

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Not too long ago, I received another email asking for a cookbook to be reviewed. This time, it was from the chef herself-- Trish Magwood. To be totally honest, I have never heard of Trish Magwood before but nonetheless I was honoured. A quick Google search turned up numerous guest appearances on CBC Radio, CTV's Canada AM, Rogers Cityline, and NBC's today show just to name a few. To be totally honest, surprised this woman doesn't have her own cooking show yet. She is beautiful, full of spunk, and judging by her culinary career thus far really knows her stuff.


Magwood's first cookbook dish entertains did pretty well in its own right winning the James Beard Award (one of the highest honours for food and beverage professionals in North America). In My Mother's Kitchen is her latest cookbook, and the one I received in the mail. This book is a compilation of three generations of family recipes compiled in a book filled with beautiful pictures of the dishes themselves. The book has quick and easy recipes for a meal on the go as well as some little more elaborate recipes for those fancier meals where you aim to impress your friends or family. Seeing as the cookbook arrived on the lead up to the holidays, I have been a bit busy, so decided to tackle the "Elena's Curried Corn Chowder" recipe found on page 37. Don't let the word "curried" scare you, it is only as spicy as you want to make it.

ELENA'S CURRIED CORN CHOWDER 
(serves 6)




INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp (15ml) butter 
1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp (5ml) curry powder
8 baby new potatoes, quartered (or 2 medium Yukon Golds, peeled and cut into chunks)
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups (1L) fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
1 sweet red pepper, diced
1/2 jalapeno or red chili pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
1 can (10z/284 ml) creamed corn
3 1/2 cups (875ml) chicken stock (Veggie stock would work as vegetarian alternative)
6 small tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup (125ml) 35% cream 
Chives, for garnish

HOW TO

In a large heavy soup pot, melt butter with oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Add curry powder and saute another minute. Stir in potatoes, salt and pepper; saute another minute. Stir in corn kernels and cook until corn is lightly brown, about 5 minutes.

Stir in red pepper and jalapeno; saute for another 2 minutes. Stir in wine and let evaporate. Add creamed corn and stock, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.

Remove from heat. Remove two-thirds of the mixture and set aside. Using a hand blender, puree remaining soup in the pot. Return reserved soup to the pot.

Return to medium-high heat and add tomatoes and cream. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve garnished with chives.
---

The recipe was so quick and easy to do and was a hit in our household. My younger brother went back for 2 more bowls and he isn't usually one to try new food-- especially if meat is missing from the recipe. If I were to do this recipe again, I would probably put a bit more curry powder and jalapenos for an added kick. I love spicy foods, and the recipe as it is was not spicy. So, again, don't let the "curry" scare you from trying this amazing soup. 

THE VERDICT

COOKBOOK RATING: 4/5

I really liked this cookbook. It has such a wide array of recipes that everyone is bound to get something from it. The fact that a seemingly Canadian-centric cookbook had a stracciatella recipe was quite impressive. I also like Magwood's emphasis on local, fresh Canadian produce not only as a way of supporting local farmers, and lessening your carbon footprint but also makes locating the ingredients easier. I can't wait to start tackling the extensive dessert section in the new year. I highly recommend adding this cookbook to your collection.


RECOMMENDED



1 comments:

{ Unknown } at: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:36:00 AM said...

I've read so many great feedback and reviews about this cookbook that I'm thinking to buy it, because I'm sure that I will like it!
So, I will get it from here: http://www.canadathestore.com/products/in-my-mothers-kitchen most likely, because I've also seen maple syrup on the site and I really want to try a recipe with it! Thank you for sharing the review... really useful!

Post a Comment